As I mentioned earlier, I am on a diet. This does not change the fact that I still crave something sweet and dessert-like every now and again. More like all the time, but that is neither here nor there. Anyway, I was going to make applesauce brownies, but then I decided that banana muffins sounded way better. The thing about these muffins is that they look nothing like my previous experiences consuming banana muffins--instead they look like mushed bananas both before and after baking. Is it just me or are banana muffins supposed to be a brownish color???
Regardless, these are yummy, super easy, and 110 calories per muffin. Of course, this depends on the size of the particular muffin, but my batch made 10 muffins, which means each muffin is 110 calories, give or take.
What's even better is that you could make these muffins even healthier by using a sugar substitute and whole grain flour. I had neither of these in my kitchen, so I went for the yummier yet still healthy version....best decision i made all day.
So, obviously begin by gathering your ingredients:
- 2 bananas
- 1 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract (you can use rum extract or whatever else you have sitting around)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. of milk
- 3/4 cup of flour
1. Place the bananas into a bowl and mush them up.
3. After mixing those ingredients together, add in the flour and mix well.
4. Finally fill your muffin pan with the batter. You can either use paper cup liners like i did, or you could always grease and flour the pan...muffin cups are way easier!
5. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
I must warn you that you should definitely check them with the toothpick trick after 20 minutes because they look exactly the same coming out of the oven as they did going in. Proof: