Monday, June 22, 2009
My very first paying cupcake job!!! One of my very best ladies asked me to bake cupcakes for a baby shower the she and her mom were throwing. The theme was surfer boy using the colors blue and orange. The cupcakes themselves are lemon flavored and I took a little help from a box because I had so little time to put these together. However, I did not follow the directions on the box. Instead I did this:
1 package lemon cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
1 small package lemon instant pudding
Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick. (I used my stand mixer, Pearl). Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I was able to get 24 very full cupcakes from the recipe). For regular cake, pour into a greased 9x11 pan or two round pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Don't over bake or the cake will be too dry! The toothpick test works to check to see if they're done. I doubled the recipe and then I simply piped on a simple a lemon cream cheese frosting. I didn't get to taste them, but rumor has it that they were delicious!!! Here's some pics from the party:
Yeah, so it has been a while since I posted. I have been baking, I just haven't had the time to update my blog. Either that or it's just plain laziness. It's your call. I don't really make pie, but I woke up one morning and had a craving for marshmallow fluff...weird, I know, but I just had to have it. I couldn't find any recipes that called for marshmallow fluff that sounded even remotely appetizing to me. Hence, the meringue pie...I added the marshmallow to the meringue and it was soooooo freaking good!!! It was fabulously delicious! Here's the recipe: Ingredients
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 T. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c. cold water
3 eggs yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1 T. butter or margarine
9-inch baked pie shell
Fluff Meringue (below)
1. In medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
2. Add lemon juice, cold water and egg yolks; stir in boiling water.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to
boil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
4. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from heat.
5. Heat oven to 350° F and Prepare fluff meringue (see below)
6. Pour filling into pie shell.
7. Spread meringue over hot filling; seal well to crust.
8. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool completely on wire rack.
1. In medium bowl beat 3 egg whites, at room temperature, until
soft peaks form.
2. Beat in 1/2 c. Marshmallow Fluff, a little at a time, until whites stand in stiff glossy peaks.
Makes me wish I had a slice right now. Therein lies the danger of posting recipes weeks after you actually made them....