Monday, March 16, 2009

Because Everyone Fails Sometimes

In my last post, I declared that I would be making Cupcake Pops. And I tried. And I failed. Miserably. Here's what happened:

It all started out well enough. I baked a lovely yellow cake and whipped up a batch of vanilla icing. After the cake cooled, I crumbled it into a fine texture using my food processor. I smushed the icing into the cake, rolled them into balls, and stuck them in the fridge for a few hours. So far, so good.


However, that's where it all took a turn for the worse. I tried to use the flower cookie cutter to shape the base of the balls into a cupcake shape. Failed. The balls were too small or the cookie cutter was too big. Either way, tiny cupcakes just weren't going to happen. Time to move onto plan B: (Round) St. Patrick's Day Cupcake Pops.

So, I left the cake in ball form and decided to go from there. I melted the green candy melts over a double boiler, stuck lollipop sticks into the balls, and proceeded to dip.


Failed. The candy was too thick and just kept sliding off of the cake. The lollipop sticks kept coming out of the cake. The lollipops that did work wouldn't stand up straight in my temporary Styrofoam stand, so I had to put them flat down onto tin foil which would inevitable cause the top side of the cupcake pops to be flat. Then...when I tried to decorate them with sprinkles, the chocolate kept sliding down onto the foil causing the sprinkles to go with it. Failed.

This is what I ended up with:


I suppose that I could have continued in this manner and at the worst they would at least taste good, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't have been more embarrassed than proud to share these.

All is well and I'll be trying something new this week for my mother-in-law's birthday. She mentioned cupcake ice cream cones the other day, so I think that is what I will attempt to make for her this week. Hopefully the failures are all behind me.


Oh!! And I am going to Cold Stone Creamery this week specifically to try one of these:

Ice Cream Cupcakes!! Not only are these one of the cutest things I have seen in a long time, but they also look unbelievably delicious! I will let you know how good they...are all the while hoping that this doesn't turn into an unhealthy obsessions (or an extra 10 pounds).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I know you can perfect this Cupcake Pop with a little trial and error.
I love your blog. It always makes me laugh (well, maybe not this week!)I haven't tried any of these baked goodies because I think I've gained a few just looking at them.
You should write a humourous cookbook. (put that college degree to work.)
Hey, what about Pupcakes for people who like to spoil their pups.

Kelly said...

I heart ice cream cone cupcakes!

Jenn Ford said...

I have thought about making pupcakes!! I think that is a great idea, i've just been looking for a good recipe (wouldn't want to upset any of my friend's dogs) so let me know if you know of a good recipe. Thanks!