Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

Decadent. That is the only word that comes to mind....and delicious, delectable, definitely delightful. That's enough alliteration for one day. Or is it? Maybe there is something to Betty Crocker after all because these were freakin' fabulous! I got this recipe from my B.C. cookbook, but you can also find it online.

My mom had the husband and I over for dinner the other night while my niece was spending the weekend at her house. She made us shrimp scampi that was fantastic and I brought these brownies for dessert. I also brought them to The Ladies first Book Club meeting which was also spectacular. Although next time perhaps we should have a little less wine and a little more book talk. I digress....

Anywho, these come highly recommended by me and everyone else who had the pleasure of pleasing their palette with their gratifying goodness. I pretty much followed Betty's recipe except I decided to skip the chocolate frosting and substitute it for homemade chocolate ganache because something about this recipe just had to be from scratch or I couldn't live with myself. In the end, I think I made the right decision. It really made the difference and I learned how to do something new!



Here's how to make it:

Ingredients:

1box Betty Crocker Original Supreme brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2
eggs
1pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix
1/2cup butter or margarine, softened
1egg

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray, or grease with shortening. Make brownie mix as directed on box, using oil, water and 2 eggs. Spread in pan.

2. Make cookie mix as directed on pouch, using butter and 1 egg. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls evenly onto brownie batter; press down lightly.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool on cooling rack 30 minutes. Cover with the chocolate ganache (recipe to follow) and cut into bars.

For the ganache:

1. In a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 6 tbsp. butter until just before the boiling stage.

2. Pour over 12 oz. chocolate semi-sweet chips that are in a separate bowl.

3. Let stand for about 30 seconds and stir until everything is incorporated and smooth.

4. Pour over the brownies and allow to set before cutting. (This might take longer than you think)

Finally, pour yourself a BIG glass of milk (or wine) and try to eat just one!

No comments: