Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Basket Cupcakes


Unfortunately the only people that enjoyed these cupcakes were Tim's coworkers. We were supposed to go to my Grandmom's for Easter, but I woke up and just wasn't feeling well so we had to call out of Easter. It saddened me to do so, but I really wasn't feeling up to it and contrary to the rumors that my Grandmom was spreading, it is NOT because I am pregnant. Haha--I know she was just joking or it was wishful thinking. Either way, that isn't the case.

So, after we cleared that up Tim and I spent Easter Sunday lazing around, watching Slumdog Millionaire, and eating Burger King because it was the only place open. All in all it wasn't a bad day and I sent the 2 dozen leftover cupcakes to work with Tim so that they wouldn't go to waste. I sincerely hope that the boys at DCP enjoyed my hard work.

In all honesty, these were actually very easy to make. I am not posting the recipe for the white cake because if you read this blog, then by now you know where to find a good recipe for cake from scratch. And these were more about the decorating than the baking.

(photo courtesy of the darlin' husband)

1. After baking the cupcakes and letting them cool completely, begin the decorating process by piping on green icing to look like grass. I used Wilton tip #233 and it came out like this:


2. Then take a Twizzler and bend it in half. Stick it as far into the cupcake as it will go in order to resemble a basket handle.

(sorry--the stupid flash washed out the pretty green color)

3. Finally, fill the "basket" with a few jellybeans, which should stick to the icing like glue.

(again with the washed out green color...)

Here are a few pictures of the final product displayed on the cupcake tree we received from Cat Kochanski as a wedding gift. Thanks Cathy!!!!



I kind of wish I had used black licorice instead. It probably would have looked cuter, but I detest the taste of licorice...oh well.

No comments: