Monday, May 4, 2009

Rainbow Cupcakes with Fluffy White Clouds on Top


These were definitely an experiment, but A LOT of fun to make! I used the same basic vanilla cupcake recipe as usual, but this time I added some fun colors to the mix. After making the batter, I divided it evenly into 6 different bowls and then dyed each one a color of the rainbow.

Starting with red, I spooned each color evenly into individual cupcake liners.

Bake the cupcakes at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. When they are finished baking ALLOW THEM TO COOL IN THE PAN FOR 10 MINUTES. I write that in all caps because I learned the importance of this valuable lesson today. Typically when baking cupcakes, I blindly follow this direction, no questions asked. Today, however, impatience got the best of me and I immediately transferred the cupcakes to the cooling rack upon removing them from the oven. Much to my chagrin the paper liners separated from the cake itself, which really isn't a huge problem--it just makes for less cute finished products.

Here is what they looked like after baking:



Then I iced them with a basic vanilla buttercream frosting, but I whipped it for extra long so that I could pretend that is was a fluffy white cloud atop a funny looking rainbow.


They looked so irresistible that I could barely wait to taste one. The cake was exquisite and the frosting, while good, was a tad bit sweet....but I ate it all gone anyway.

Going.....

Going.....

Gone.....


Oh, and on a side note...my darling husband got me a GREAT birthday present! He bought this little lighting kit so that I can take better pictures of my creations. Normally I rig a similar set up on my floor right in front of the sliding glass door so as to get the most natural light as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Now I never have to worry about at because he bought me one of these:


Best husband I ever had. Love him!! Thanks darlin'.....

No comments: